Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3/28/12
John 5:5-6 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”
Wow, this man had been ill for thirty-eight years and was waiting by Bethsada, a pool, where “an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.” (verse4) Yet, Jesus still asks this man if he wants to be made well. This was huge for me because from an outsider’s perspective reading this passage it was obvious that this man wanted to be healed, but God desires that we make our requests known to him. For it says in Matt. 7:8 …Everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. This obviously does not mean that everything that we ask for, we will receive, but Jesus does desire that we voice our requests to Him.
This made me question my own life. Am I faithfully asking the Lord for the areas that I desire to have clarity or need changed in mine or someone else’s life? I know that the Lord extends grace, but before I can expect an answer I need to be asking.
Application: I am going to start making my requests more specific this week. God already knows my heart, but it is His desire for me to voice them to Him. I am thankful that God’s character and will is not dependent on me, but I desire to this (pray specifically) out of obedience to what He has showed me in His word.
3/29/12
John 5:13-14 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”
These verses are taken from the story of the man who Jesus healed near the pool of Bethsada. What is important to note here, I think, is that Jesus followed up with the man. He didn’t leave him hanging but followed through with what he had started even though the Jews were seeking to harm Him.
This shows how critically important it is to follow through with a new believer even when you have to overcome obstacles. As I will be leaving Costa Rica soon, it has been on my heart to not let these kids at PFK feel as if I just left them hanging as well.
Application: When I get back to the US, I am going to write some letters to the PFK kids so that they know that they are not only special in my eyes but the Lord’s as well. I know that the PFK program is made up of solid leaders that absolutely love these kids and pour out their lives for them. I just hope that by me writing a letter, it would show in another way as well the immense love God has for them (as well as myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment