Tuesday, March 27, 2012

3/26/2012
John 4:43-44 Now after the two days, He departed from there and went to Galilee. For Jesus Himself testified that a prophet has no honor in his own country.
Here Jesus is explaining that a prophet is not respected in his home country. People often doubt when they can’t get past the familiarity of that person. (Matt. 13: 55) It is hard to look past the outside and look at the person as God sees them. As a result, familiarity can be a blinder and hinder others.
This made me think of missionaries to the US who are from the US. So often I have seen how others including myself often consider those who go overseas a novelty or a step above those who are working in the US. Yes, working here in Costa Rica has been nothing like it would in the US. It is a completely different scenario with the culture, language, and everything much less accessible than in the US. However, at the same time, that does not diminish what the Lord might have called someone to do in their home country. The most important thing is that I am where God wants me. If I am in HIS will than no other place will do.
Application: As I go back to the US, I want to keep in mind that I am still a missionary no matter where I go. Pastor John Whang said that he put a sign in front of his door that read, “Entering the mission field” so that he would remember that when he walked out that door…there was a mission field awaiting him. I need to recognize that wherever God calls me is where I am supposed to be no matter if that is in my home country or overseas.
3/27/12
John 4:48 Then Jesus said to him, “Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe.” The nobleman said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies!” Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your son lives.” So the man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and he went his way.
“Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe.” This phrase clearly shows a lack of faith among the people. However, the people are given such a powerful example of faith in the following verses from this nobleman. For even when he had no proof in the moment that his son was healed, he still believed. This man had to put faith in what Jesus said to him verbally before he could see it visually.
This was a really good reminder for me because as I trust God with my future knowing He holds all. I need to stop worrying about it and instead believe and put my faith in who HE is. I am encouraged how this man’s faith was rewarded but it took that whole trip back to his house walking in faith before he was able to visually see his faith confirmed.
Application: I am going to continue trusting the Lord….even when I am don’t visually understand what is happening, I need to have faith. For without faith, it is impossible to please God. (Hebrews 11:6)

                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment