Friday, March 2, 2012

1/28/2012
John 3:31 “He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.”
Again, I am reminded from this verse how God’s ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts over our thoughts. I find it very interesting here that the verse specifically speaks of our words. Are they earthly or heavenly?
This morning I read, Ephesians 5:2-4 where it says, “And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks… (vs. 6) Let no one deceive you with empty words.
The importance of what I say and allow others to say around me was instilled in my heart once again. I should be wise and careful….leaving no place for the flesh (Rom. 13); I want to guard my words carefully, for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.
Application: Lord, may I be wise and carful about my words….please give me a renewed understanding and awareness of how I am using my words whether it is even the tone or heart behind them. I need Your discernment to choose my words carefully that they may be full and sweet not empty and bitter to Your ears.
2/29/2012
John 3:34 “For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure.”
Whoever is sent by the Lord to speak His words has an equal share of the Holy Spirit as everyone else who is also called to speak the words of God. The Lord does not pick favorites, but gives the Spirit equally to everyone He sends out.
I believe, as Believers, we are all sent to speak the words of God to share His word (the Bible) and speak words of life to those around us. This means that we are all equal heirs to the power of God. God is not giving one person more than another; we all have equal opportunity to obtain this free gift of the Spirit.
Application: When I start to feel inadequate and downplaying what God can do through me, I need to immediately stop myself and realize that the Lord has given me just as much of the Holy Spirit as He has to others in the family of God e.g. Esther in the Old Testament. Lord, I receive all you have for me and ask for a renewed filling of the Spirit in my life.

3/1/2012
John 3:35-36 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand. He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides in him.”
I love how this verse is very clear that God’s power and words were spoken through Jesus. So many people today try to downplay Jesus saying that He was a good moral person or a good teacher but don’t acknowledge that He was actually the Son of God. Anyone who rejects this is subject to the wrath of God.
At times in my life, I have questioned why there is the wrath of God, but as I have been reading, In the Grip of Grace by Max Lucado it has helped me understand how great God’s grace is for us. However, in order for me to appreciate His grace, I have to have an understanding of His wrath. Without His wrath, grace means nothing….we first have to understand our fallen state that we might see our need for salvation.
Application: God, thank you for Your righteous wrath…because if you did not show your righteous wrath, You would not be pure and just. This also makes me appreciate Your grace even more. Thank you that I can rest in Your grace….and I do not have to earn any merit for my salvation.
3/2/2012
John 4:2 (though Jesus himself did not baptize, but His disciples),
In the previous verse, it explains how the Pharisees were aware of the fruitful ministry Christ was having making and baptizing more disciples than John. Before the verse continues, there is this parenthesis in the middle that explains who was doing the baptizing. I was hit by this because although Jesus was the source and the leader of the ministry, He was raising up other ministers.
About a week ago, our team was challenged to take on some more responsibility in different areas of leadership while still being under the guidance and direction of the leader. This leader was letting us take part trying to train us up to learn. I was struck how this was a very Godly choice they were making. Even though it is often frightening for me to learn new skills or to be passed on a measure of responsibility, it is the only way I can grow.
Application: I need to embrace these opportunities instead of shying away from them. God cannot prepare me for the future if I am never willing to be stretched. I have asked Him over and over to grow in me all that He desires. This can only be done by going out of my comfort zone….God, thank you for these opportunities and please give me strength and ability in all that is asked of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment