Friday, April 6, 2012

4/4/2012
John 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God,
Here is a complete heart of surrender. Jesus is offering up all to the Father as Judas is leaving the Last Supper to go betray Him to the Jews. I think this is absolutely incredible because Jesus was God....He too held all the power and yet, at the same time, He knew He needed to submit to the will of the Father. I am so blessed that Jesus sets this example for all of us because, at times, I think I too easily forget how Jesus went through all the trials and faced all the same temptations we live through today. He is chose not to fear the future but to surrender all that He knew was going to take place along with His own divine power to bring salvation to the world.
The verse then concludes with Jesus going back to who He is in God the Father…His mission for being on this earth. He had come from the Father and was going to return after He had accomplished all things.
Application: As I have returned from Costa Rica, there are many things that I desire to do in the future. I am not all-knowing but God the Father is. I need to have a surrendered heart coming in with no preconceived ideas of what my future should look like but instead going back to who I am in Christ Jesus as my identity for what I am on this earth. I shouldn’t find my identity in what I do but who I am in the Lord, a sinner saved by grace living to bring glory to His name.
4/5/2012
John 13:4…rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.
Wow, there is so much symbolism and a powerful example of what servant hood in this verse. Here Jesus is initiating serving…He is not waiting for someone else to jump in but He is the initiator. Secondly, Jesus took off His garments laying aside His “appearance and status” and clothing himself with a towel (humility…the lesser position).
I found this so true in Costa Rica. I can’t serve God to the fullest if I am holding on to things of myself…my appearance, my wants, and even self-consciousness. I have to lay aside every snare that so easily entangles me that I may run the race that is set before me with endurance.
Application:
I want to apply this to my life today by committing to initiate serving the rest of the day. Instead of waiting for someone else to lead, when an opportunity reveals itself, I will initiate.
4/6/2012
John 13:5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
Here Jesus is starting to wash the disciples’ feet using the towel that was wrapped around Him.  I found this extremely striking because Jesus was using something that was on Him…He was getting Himself dirty and messy but showing such a powerful love through this example.
In Costa Rica, one of the biggest things I learned was when you love, love with all your heart. Yes, you are more susceptible to pain and getting messy but that is the only way we can experience the fullness of God’s blessing. On Wednesday, all the returning interns and pastors were discussing how feeling pain is not a bad thing and actually shows how you loved the country you were placed in…pouring everything you had into the people you were serving.
So often, before, I would put up walls to protect myself from getting hurt not wanting to love freely. However, through the example of the missionaries and Costa Rican people, I was amazed at the sincerity of love and the sweetness it brings.
Application:
I am going to ask God for strength as I seek to love those around me with all of my heart instead of putting up walls. Yes, at times it will get messy and will bring pain but this is the only way I will experience the fullness of serving Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Jay- this- to love with your whole heart- is one of the most difficult, yet most necessary lessons missionaries (and followers of Christ in general) need to learn. Through learning to let go of our fears, break down the walls, and just love with all your heart the people around you, you learn, amazingly, to do the dame wiith Your Father, and what a joy that brings to your life! Miss you and love you! ~ Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete