Thursday, March 8, 2012

3/7/2012
John 4:7-8 A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.
Here we see two practical needs that Jesus asked to be done. One, He needed a drink of water, and two, He needed some food. The obedience of both parties enabled Him to fulfill the ministry the Father was calling Him to do.
If Jesus had asked the woman for a drink of water and she did not comply, we never know how differently the situation might have played out. Secondly, with the disciples being gone, Jesus was able to minister to the woman alone. What would have happened if the disciples had not gone into the city to buy food? Would Jesus have been able to still minister to the woman? In the previous verse, it stated that Jesus was weary. He needed substantial energy (food) to keep Him going. If the disciples had not gone, would Jesus been gone at this moment to go get food?
We will never know the answer to these questions, but through their obedience and willing hearts to follow through with Jesus’ requests, ministry was accomplished in the best manner according to His divine plan.
Application: I am going to keep in mind that when I do even the practical needs of life: e.g. sweeping the floor, washing a plate, or serving a drink…all are just as important as any other part of ministry if I am following through with the tasks Jesus has placed before me to do. Everything I and those around me do for Jesus are essential parts of the body of Christ.
3/8/2012
John 4:9 Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, “How is it that You, being Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?” For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.
Here Jesus is majorly going against the accepted behavior in that day for a Jewish teacher. Not only is He talking to a Samaritan but He is talking to a woman. First of all, just that Jesus chose to go through Samaria is a huge deal. Normally, the Jews would avoid going through Samaria at all costs, but Jesus  is not only going through Samaria but is stopping to talk to a Samaritan woman. Even though Jesus was higher in every aspect of those around Him, He never flaunted His power. He was always the first one showing the example of servant hood.
He was always initiating humility, never needing to be asked to humble Himself because He was always ready to serve no matter what it was.
Application: Am I living humility out in my life? Do I have to wait to be asked to do something humbling or do I immediately initiate it. God, please give me eyes for those things in which need to be done so that I might initiate an attitude of humility.

2 comments:

  1. Flipping through each of our fellow IGNITE intern's blogs, I find yours: constant and sure. That is what you are.

    You are an inspiration for standing up for your convictions, staying along the path God has called you, and being obedient to His will.

    I am blessed by your words, every day, as we are together in Costa Rica, and I wish everyone reading these blogs would be able to have heart-to-hearts with you as I have been so blessed to have, and discover the selfless beauty God has given you.

    I love you so much, "J-dog" ;) I only call you this because I know it peeves you, but you must believe I do it out of love. Because I am so happy to be able to know as much as I do about you as I do, and to be able to proclaim that the Janessa everyone sees is the Janessa they will continue to get. You are a closed book, but as a follower of Christ you are open and willing to give 110% percent to anyone in need.

    Forgive me for taking advantage of your servant's heart. I truly long to trade places and have you ask me favors without a doubt that I will do them too.. One of the many areas of which I need work.. :P

    God is molding you every day, becoming more graceful and virtuous as you meditate on His word, and His calling in your present life, and future. I have been blessed by you in numerous ways, and am proud to call you my sister and dear friend.

    Love,

    Shay

    (ps; how's this for spontaneous ;)) Bahaha ..and no that wasn't my motivation for writing this silly girl. It's so whoever reads this comment will see your glowing heart for Christ through one who has gotten to know you in out and upside down through this wild, but amazing ride God has put us on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for continuing in this blog! i have been really blessed and convicted when I read it! Finish strong! Hope to catch a time to hear all that GOD did while you were there.

    ReplyDelete