Friday, February 24, 2012

2/23/2012
John 3:28 “You yourselves bear me witness that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,; but ‘I have been sent before Him.’”
In the previous verse, the Jews had come to John trying to make him jealous of what Jesus was doing. However, John knew exactly what specific calling God had put on his ministry and what he should be doing (no matter what others were doing around him).  He was secure in his calling and would not allow comparison between his and Jesus’ ministry.
What an important lesson to follow. So often I can feel discouraged because I compare my spiritual gifts or what I am doing for Jesus to others in the ministry. But this is wrong; God has called me to a specific area of ministry that is unique to me…most of all, I should be concentrating on preparing the way for the return of Christ. If all believers are looking to boast in Jesus Christ and not themselves, then there will be no issues.
Application:
I am going to stop comparing my gifts and areas of ministry to those around me. Honestly, I have been discouraged lately because I have allowed myself to compare, but this is not right and just puts the emphasis on me instead of the Lord.
2/24/2012
John 3:29 “He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled. “
Here is John’s response as the Jews were attempting to plant jealousy in the in his heart about Jesus. John recognizes that Jesus was the bridegroom and we are Christ’s bride. Jesus was drawing the bride unto Himself. In the same way, other people in ministry (as God works through them) will be trying to draw others to Christ. However, this drawing of people to Christ can only be done through the power of God. Therefore, it is important to recognize that this power is not in and of the person but about drawing as many people to salvation.
Yesterday, I was convicted not to be jealous of those in the ministry around me, and to recognize that the emphasis should not be on myself but on God. However, John gives us an example to go beyond just not being jealous BUT REJOICING! Rejoicing…he could only do this because he had the right mindset…an eternal mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment