Friday, January 20, 2012

John 1:49-50 Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.”
Verse 49 is stating Nathanael’s response to Jesus informing him that he saw Nathanael under the fig tree.  As humans, we are so prone to respond to signs and wonders in the moment. In testing times of my life, I have doubted the love of God because I felt like I should have seen a sign to a request I made. Yet, His love is never based off of my present circumstances but on the love that He demonstrated on the cross. The cross is Christ’s ultimate example of love to us. Yet, at the same time, we see the shallowness of what Nathanael expects out of Jesus…God has so much more to offer than what we often ask. Am I asking for patience? Courage? Peace? A greater love for Him?...all these things He desires to give to me…all I need to do is ask.
Application: I am going to start praying for more specific Godly characteristics to be seen in my life. He desires to show these in a greater way in my life all I need to do is ask.
1/17/2012
John 2: 2-3 Now both Jesus and his disciples were invited to the wedding. And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”
I love how even though Jesus Christ was the Son of God, He still participated in the normal daily events of life…like going to a wedding. I think it very interesting here that Mary new immediately where to seek help even with something as practical as what to serve at the wedding. There was no doubt in her mind that Jesus would know what to do. This shows great faith on her part because Jesus was her Son but in her heart she treasured the things that God revealed to her. (Luke 2:19) She didn’t let the physical become greater than the spiritual promises she had received.
To apply this to my life, I want to seek God with even the very practical and basic things of life. He is the One I should go to for all my answers no matter how great or how small…He wants constant communion with me even in the practicalities of my life.
1/18/2012
John 1: 4 Jesus said, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.”
I think it very interesting how Jesus responds to Mary’s need in the previous verse. At first, it could look as if He doesn’t care about her request, yet it is amazing to see how His tone appears so loving at the same time. It’s as if He is testing her to see her motive. The biggest thing that always touches me about this verse is how he addresses her, “woman” which in the original language is a very endearing term to call a female.
This verse made me realize that I don’t always have to understand why Christ does certain things in my life. In the following verses, we see how Christ still fulfills Mary’s request for more wine for the wedding but He does question her. This speaks to me that even when I am not sure why God does something, I need to keep pressing into Him…He hears my requests. This doesn’t mean that He will always answer how I desire. I am not going to be able to fathom everything about Him because I am merely human but Christ is infinite and He accomplishes glory through our live using situations and tools of life that I won’t be able to comprehend until eternity.
1/19/2012
John 2:5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”
What a command, “Whatever He says to you, do it.” Oh, how this is so true and right and yet so hard to abide at times. I think of how God called Abraham to leave and go to a land God had promised him, yet Abraham had no idea where that land was. Abraham had to solely rely on the Lord for direction…what a call of obedience.
So often, maybe I know what I need to say but I don’t say or act on it because it is uncomfortable, scary, or unknown. Whether that is confronting someone, sticking up for righteousness, or taking the humble job, when Christ asks me to do something, I want to jump full force. That is what we are called to do and I want to walk in obedience to that.
 Application: There is something specific that the Lord is speaking to my heart to do today…and I am going to act on it instead of letting it slip to the side. If God is calling me to do something, I want to be obedient no matter how inconvenient or apprehensive it might make me feel. I need to be obedient.
1/20/2012
John2:7-8 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it.
What an amazing example of faith on the servant’s part in obedience to Jesus. When Jesus told them to fill the waterpots, they didn’t just fill them full but they filled them to the brim. Then after they obeyed Him in that request, Jesus went a little farther and told them to serve it to the master. It doesn’t say here that they tasted it first; instead, they brought it straight to the master. I know if I had been one of the servants, I would have been really nervous I was serving something to the master without any assurance except my own faith that it was good wine. The master would also be in front of all his wedding guests adding extra pressure to the situation.
Application: Yesterday, I was learning about obedience, and following through. Today I feel like it would be faith. When I act in obedience, I need to have faith that God is going to meet me and accomplish what He desires through my obedience. I can testify to how God used my obedience that I spoke of yesterday to bring about what He desired in the situation, and I need to keep on believing in future situations.
Hi

No comments:

Post a Comment