Saturday, January 14, 2012

1/11/12
John 1:45-46 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
Here in these verses, Philip is trying to persuade Nathanael to come with him and see Jesus. How interesting it is to me that Nathanael’s familiarity with Nazareth turned him off from pursuing to know Jesus Christ further. How often do I doubt or stop pursuing something  because I feel like I am already familiar with the subject?
This brought me to a startling conclusion. As I am seeking to know the Lord more especially in this time of my life, I need to make sure that I stay consistent with my personal times with Him outside of listening to sermons, IBS, and reading books on Christianity. All these are amazing and excellent things to do to grow in the Lord, but it is vital to be refreshed by the living streams of the word as well…He is the only place that I will be fully filled.

1/12/12
John 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit.”
Jesus immediately identifies what Nathanael’s lineage is and a character trait that defines him as a person. This comment of Jesus “in whom is no deceit” caught my attention. Deceit can me dishonesty or deception…  For me, straight out lying is not something I am struggling with in my life right now, yet I began to think how deception can be a problem on many different levels. Am I always honest around others whether that is....how I communicate with others? Am I genuine in expressing my real opinion or feelings. This quality is obviously important to the Lord as He points this out in the verse; therefore, it is important to make it my aim to do the same in my own life.
Application:
God, please search my heart and find those areas where I am not being totally honest with myself or others that I may walk in complete honesty and genuineness towards those around me.
12/13/12
John 1:48 Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree I saw you.”
How comforting this thought is…God is all-knowing and all-seeing. Before reading this verse, I knew that no matter where I was or going through, would never seperate me from God’s love (Romans 8:39). Yet, after reading this verse it stuck out to me that I am never out of earshot or eyesight of God. He is omnipresent.  He is so worthy of all my praise.
Application:
Whenever I am feeling alone, unheard, or scared I can fall back on the truth that God never leaves me nor forsakes me and is constantly mindful of me, his daughter, Janessa.

No comments:

Post a Comment