Tuesday, December 27, 2011

12/26/2011
John 1:27 (NIV) He [Jesus] is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I [John the Baptist] am not worthy to untie.
Here John the Baptist is telling those sent by the Pharisees that there was someone coming…not yet revealed…whose “thongs” or straps of sandals he was not worthy to untie. I am so amazed by the faith and humility that John the Baptist had. The glory of Jesus Christ had not yet been revealed but John knew who was behind Jesus Christ. This revelation could only come through close communion with the Lord.
 The phrase…”I am not even worthy to untie [his sandals]”…struck me. In Matthew 25:40 God says that what you have done to the least of the brethren you have done to me. Wow!  …So when I do something for someone else…I am doing it to God. This made me think of all the times I have unfortunately in my heart thought something below me.  However, this thinking  is equivalent to saying  that something I am doing for God is to low yet I am not even worthy to untie Jesus’ sandals. This puts a whole new light on the truth and significance of servant hood to others around me.
To apply this to my life, I want to solely look at my acts of service as unto God and not others. I need to have the constant mindset of serving Christ in ALL that I do.
12/27/2011
John 1: 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”
“The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world…” The word “Lamb” is used here to describe God combined with His removal of our sin from the world struck me in a new light. To take away the sin of the world is such a huge task requiring supreme authority and power. Yes, Jesus Christ did have power but He did not flaunt this power…no, he took the position of a lamb. A lamb is gentle and submissive…Jesus Christ was gentle with those around him and submissive to the Father walking in obedience to what was asked of Him. Jesus showed an example of meekness: strength under control.
God, I pray that you would give me the strength to walk as you walked power under self-control.                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment