Friday, December 16, 2011

12/16/2011
John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.            
This verse is critical to understand that the law was given through Moses but Jesus Christ does not offer the law but instead grace and truth. The law’s sole purpose was for us to see our need for a savior.
Pastor Joe Focht described the law through this example: ….. Someone speeding on the highway doesn’t know that they are breaking the law until a speed limit is posted. Without a standard, the driver has no way of measuring its actions to see if they are right or wrong. The same thing is in our life, the law was intended to reveal to us our shortcomings so that we would be able to see our need for forgiveness from our wrongdoings.
I am so thankful that Christ’s intention is not for us to live under the law but for the law to be used as a tool to bring us to salvation. To apply this to my life, I need to stop myself when I start trying to live under the law “earning” my salvation through works. I need to remember that I can never live up to the law and therefore be encouraged that I need a Savior. God knew from the beginning of time that I would fail and that is why He provided a way that I might receive salvation through Him and Not through myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment