Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/2/2011
1 Corinthians 13:5 “… [Love] does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil …”
This verse tells us that love is considerate of others thinking about those around them instead of themselves. Love is not easily angered by an offense, and when an offense is made, love continues to believe the best instead of assume the worst (as is the normal response).
The phrase that really caught my attention was that love “does not seek its own”. In life, I have the constant mindset of choosing the option that best fits my needs, most convenient, and most enjoyable for my circumstances instead of looking for what would best benefit someone else. Seeking not just observing to discover what would profit others before me. Also, just as equally important is being open and joyfully accepting whatever God has placed before me even if that means being in a situation that is out of my comfort zone or is not to my liking. If I desire to be like Christ, the most essential element of the Christian life is agape love which is described here.
I want to apply this to my life by seeking out other’s needs, wants, and desires including those who I enjoy to be around and those I don’t.  Christ did not just observe what others needs were but He went above the “normal” expectation and actually made an effort to serve others before Himself. For example, when He washed the disciples’ feet, He made a conscious effort and went above and beyond the expected call of a “servant leader” demonstrating this love to all even the one who would betray Him into an excruciating death.

No comments:

Post a Comment