Saturday, September 10, 2011

9/5/2011
“Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Ephesians 4:26
When I first read this verse, I was struck by the phrase, “Be angry”….be angry?.... but the following phrase is critical…and do not sin. Anger is a natural part of life but it is how I deal with this anger that is the real issue. Do I meditate on how mad I am in a situation or do I ask God for His strength to help me deal with the anger and to gain His perspective?
Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. This is a verse that was instilled from an early age in my home. It was always shown and expected that before I went to bed that I work out any conflict I might have had between myself and one of my siblings or parents. This totally affected my relationships. If I didn’t work out the situation the night before, it would carry into next day until I finally worked it out. A little issue can quickly turn big if I didn’t work it out the night before; the quicker the better.
I want to apply this to my life by making sure that when I get into conflicts, I want to remember that the quicker I work it out the better. Anger is a natural feeling it just depends on how I respond in situations.
9/5/2011
“…nor give place to the devil.” Ephesians 4:27
When I read this verse, I immediately questioned if there were areas in my life that I may not purposely but more subconsciously be giving the devil room to put thoughts in my head that are not of God. I pictured my heart and all the different aspects that my heart contains. My heart should be so full of the Lord that the devil would not even be able to squeeze in the cracks of my heart.
I think above all else, I need to work on putting all my thoughts before the Lord. Whenever I start to sense the devil tempting me with something, I want to slam the door of my heart and ask God to put a lock on it to help me keep that thought away and solely on Him. I believe that my thoughts can have more power over my life than sometimes I give credit for.
To apply this to my life I want to meditate on what Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brethren whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things.”
9/6/2011
Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Ephesians 4:28
I love the concept of this verse. As I was reading the beginning of this verse, I thought, “Yes, it is excellent and right that however someone can, they should work as hard as they can to support themselves.” The next phrase struck me…that he may have something to give him who has need. God does not want to only have me work that I might support myself but also help others in need. I love the idea of the never-ending cycle of people rising up, supporting themselves, and giving to others. This reminded me of when I read George Muller’s biography. This man could not stop his love of giving. He gave to missionaries constantly and was always looking for more opportunities to be able to give more than he already was.
 I want to challenge myself to be more giving. I want to look at my jobs as not only a way to support myself but also give to those who are in need or missionaries who are furthering the Lord’s work because this is clearly a desire and command from the Lord.
9/7/2011
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
Edification (Webster’s Dictionary): instruction and improvement esp. in morality
Here this verse is speaking of the tongue, one of the most powerful tools that God has given us. First, Paul addresses that nothing evil should come out of our mouths meaning everything that is not of God. …As well as what is good for edification. Edification is instruction and improvement in morality which makes me think of exhortation. Exhortation can be encouragement as well as correcting someone to better their walk with the Lord. It has always been hard for me to correct others because I don’t want to offend. Yet, at the same time correction produces life if done in love. If I truly love someone and want them to grow in the Lord, I need to be willing to help show them the way. God has made us each uniquely allowing for some to be strong in leadership and others in hospitality. In order for us all to become more like Christ, we need to be iron sharpening iron. It is clear from this verse that the result of edification is life bringing good to those around you.
I want to apply this to my life by speaking up and edifying those around me both in encouragement and exhortation as God prompts me.
9/8/2011
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30
Grieving the Holy Spirit…I was saddened by this because I wonder how often do I grieve the Holy Spirit but I don’t consciously acknowledge it. Every time that I do something contrary to what the Lord says, I am grieving the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is my seal that comforts, encourages, and convicts my heart from the day I was saved to the returning of Jesus Christ. As the seal upon my life, He knows every thought and can see all that I do. How often do I get angry at someone in my heart or think something selfish and do not do anything about it on the outside but what about in my mind? I think that since I didn’t act on it I am “safe” but I have still grieved the Holy Spirit because He sees my thoughts when others don’t.
 I want to work on being more consciously aware of the thoughts and take them captive immediately.
9/9/2011
Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. Ephesians 4:31
This verse describes many different responses of evil that I should not live in. In my heart, I should have malice against these evils that I might not be tempted into doing them. How often would I describe my efforts not to sin as hatred? Every day, my goal and aim is to live like Christ, yet often when temptations come into my head I need to apply vigor and fight against evil. I need to not only be defensive but also proactive. I should not just be putting on the armor of God to defend myself but also filling myself with the Word of God which will enable me to proactively doing the things of God. However, since I am born with a sinful nature it makes it very difficult to conquer myself which can only and truly come from the power of God because with God ALL things are possible. I need to draw all my strength from Him continually putting on the armor of God and filling myself with His truths that I might defend and live out the things of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment