Saturday, September 17, 2011

9/13/2011
“And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? Luke 17:7
Here we see Jesus using another parable from daily life to apply to our spiritual walk. As I read this verse, I compared myself to the servant as a servant of God. Unlike what would normally be expected, the master is offering rest after the long day of work the servant has had. How often after serving the Lord in some capacity do I expect Him to fill me up with strength after it? Moreover, I have a heavenly treasure that is my reward for the things I do for Him. However, shouldn’t I not even stop to rest but continually serve Him because that is all He does for me? I am in never-ending debt to the Lord for all He has done for me eternally as well as on this earth.
I want to work on viewing my serving as a time in the big picture of all He has given me as a response of my gratitutde. Often, I think that what I am doing to give to Him may be significant but it is quite the opposite. Nothing that I can do even brings a glimpse of what God has done for me. Thank you Lord!
9/14/2011
“But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Luke 17:8
When I read this verse, I immediately thought of the PFR staff and how they continually serve me to the very end of the day. There is always someone who gets up early in the morning to serve breakfast for me and the interns followed by someone teaching the Word of God and strategy in missions. I continue to be served up into the night as either they are spending time with me to be an encouragement or folding the clothes I left in the dryer. I am inspired by the people around me that true ministry does not end at dinner time or the end of the shift like the average worker. Ministry is 24/7 constantly around the clock. If someone gets sick at one in the morning and needs help, they are there to serve. If I need time to talk, someone else is there to have a listening ear.
 I want to apply this to my life by trying to serve outside of the times it is required. This could include helping on KP (dish duty) even if it is not my week or taking note of another sister who may need a listening ear.  Ministry is constant and I desire to learn more of the mindset and actions of what it means to be a minister.
9/15/2011
“Does he thank that servant because he did the things commanded him?” I think not. Luke 17:9
I was thinking of this verse in terms of a bondservant of the Lord. How often do I do things for the Lord but do I still look for the acknowledgement or thankfulness of man?
 For example, if I were to fold someone’s laundry out of love for them, I shouldn’t look for them to notice. I should only be looking to the Lord for He sees everything. The acknowledgement of men only lasts a while but the reward of being with the Lord in heaven is eternal.
I want to apply this to my life by looking to see something I could do this week were no one would know I did it only the Lord.
9/16/2011

“So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, “We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do” Luke 17:10
Here the servant has done everything that he was required to do finishing his tasks. However, unlike you would expect, the servant tells himself and those around him that they are unprofitable. I have often heard that when you go into a place to serve where there is deep need, the task often becomes overwhelmingly daunting making your constant efforts appear worthless in the grand scheme of things.
 I know that when I go to Costa Rica or any place in the world and I see daunting needs before me, my immediate reaction will be to try to fix everything I can in sight.  I was struck by the phrase Jean McClure said that you have to reach the one you can reach and hug the one in front of you referring to the children in Africa.
 I want to apply this to my life when I go to Costa Rica and wherever God leads me in the future, to touch the life, make the meal, or paint the house that He puts before me one step at a time. God knew that we would not be able to accomplish everything when He said the poor will always be with you. My job is to let God carry the burden and to be obedient to what He places before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment