Wednesday, August 10, 2011

8/9/2011
And when Herod was about to bring him out, that night Peter was sleeping, bound with two chains between two soldiers; and the guards before the door were keeping the prison. Acts 12:6
Herod was about to bring Peter out. Herod had just recently killed James so it is very possible and reasonable that Peter should have expected Herod to potentially kill him as well. Peter was currently in prison with not only two soldiers on either side of him but also just outside the door. Even though Peter knew it was not humanly possible to escape and might have to face death, he was sleeping between the two guards. I know that this was at night so I am sure that Peter was tired, but often when I am worried or am facing something that could be very frightening I have a hard time just resting and sleeping.
I was thinking about how Peter knew where his trust needed to be which was in the Lord.  Jesus says to come to Him all who are weary and heavy laden and He will give you rest. It is not good for me to keep worrying about different things in my life because God desires me to give it to Him and He will give rest. However, it takes surrendering from what may seem familiar or comfortable (such as worrying) and allowing God to take it and trust whatever happens will be a part of the ultimate plan He has for my life as well as His glory being magnified.
I want to change how I deal with issues I don’t know what to do about that arise at times in my life. For example, I believe I know what the next step is ahead for me after Potter’s Field; yet, at the same time, this could change.  Instead of worrying about whether I go to college or not, I want to give it to God and rest in Him. God clearly did not desire us to carry our concerns but to give them to Him and have our life fully surrendered to Him no matter what happens.

8/10/2011
Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands. Acts 12:7
Here we see that an angel of the Lord was right beside Peter and God’s light was illuminating in the prison. I love the fact that God is not limited to what we see. Even though in the previous verse a soldier was on each side of Peter, now it says that an angel was on the side of him. The presence of God is never limited by the world’s boundaries of space and time. God is all present, powerful, and can do anything.
 Another aspect of this verse that struck me was that Peter’s chains fell off after his obedience to rise up. I was thinking how this applies to my life. Before I can be set free of something that is holding me down, I first have to make the choice in my heart to choose God’s way and let go before I can truly experience God’s ultimate freedom.
I want to continually ask the Lord to show me things that I need to surrender to Him so that chains that hold me down at different times of my life can be lifted. This, in turn, will allow my heart and my mind to be more focused on the Lord and His calling for my life.

8/11/2011
Then the angel said to him, “Gird yourself and tie on your sandals”; and so he did. And he said to him, “Put on your garment and follow me.” Acts 12:8
Here the angel is commanding Peter to get prepared by putting on his sandals, garment and girding himself before going out of the prison. In Webster’s dictionary it defines gird as: 1.to encircle or fasten (as a sword) with or as if with a belt 2. to invest esp. with power or authority 3. prepare, brace
How can this verse apply to me in my walk with the Lord? I was thinking through the meaning of gird, to prepare, brace, or put on a sword. Peter was commanded to physically prepare himself before going out but we are also to spiritually prepare before going out into the world and starting our day. How often do I forget to gird myself with God’s truth and put on the armor of Christ before going out into the world and starting my day?
I can testify to the power of the armor of God. This last fall I went to a community college part time. As I went to my different classes, I really sensed a darkness that I wanted to be lifted. I began to put on the armor of God before I went to my classes and I truly felt the darkness lift. Praise the Lord!
This is a good reminder for me to keep putting on the armor of God because even though I am in a place filled with people of God and safety at Potter’s Field Ranch, I still need have the armor of God protecting me from the fiery darts of the enemy that will try to kill, steal, and destroy. God is so much more powerful than anything, and I need to protect myself with His armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment