Friday, August 19, 2011

8/16/2011
“For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.” Mark 8:35
I can just imagine the surprise of the disciples and people around Jesus as He says this. Here Jesus is speaking about physically and emotionally losing our lives but spiritually gaining it. When we surrender our life, we are no longer our own but Christ’s bondservant to do with as He pleases. Our reward is eternal life in heaven as well as the promise that He will be with us wherever we go through life because for me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Phil.1:21).
I want to continue to have the mentality of losing my life for the Lord. However, often, I do not have the goal of heaven in mind as I live my life. I want to constantly be looking to the day when I will be with my Lord forever…the amazing love and peace I will experience is beyond anything that I can imagine. I am so thankful for His grace and mercy that I might be there with Him for eternity.
8/172011
“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” Mark 8:36
Oh, how this is true. I don’t know what I would do without the Lord with me in this life but also in eternal life with Him after earth. I was thinking through all the pleasures I enjoy on this earth and the things I would like to do…travel, be a teacher, etc.
At the same time, however, I was pondering how long my time on earth is compared to life in eternity. I heard heaven described as drawing a long line across a sheet of paper and then putting a tiny dot on one end to represent life on this earth. When I think of the comparison, I am ashamed to think of the times that I have not followed through with what the Lord asked me to do out of fear, pain, and just earthly selfish reasons. This world has nothing to offer me that will fill my heart and mind. I desire God to be my strength. In the past, I have tried to fill my life with other things and I have truly found that God is the only One that will never make mistakes, knows exactly what to say, and will never let me down. I want to apply this to my life by how I share the gospel. Often, when I share with other people, I am scared of what they will think or if I will have the right answers.
 But how can my soul be saved and enjoy a personal relationship with my Lord on this earth without sharing it with others. Around the world, people are told to live for the dot, but I know something much greater and better that will have everlasting value. For God desires that no man will perish but have everlasting life.  
8/18/2011
“Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” Mark 8:37
Wow, when I read this verse I thought there is absolutely nothing in this life that can tempt me from wanting to live my life without the Lord, for I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. There is so much freedom, companionship, and peace when I surrender to Him and live under His control. Truly, God is our [my] refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Ps. 46:1)
At the same time, I am reminded when Paul said that he would be willing to exchange his life in heaven for hell if that meant those he desired to be saved would go to heaven. Personally, I have not been to this place where I have that much love for others that I would be willing to do that. But then I thought about it further; I realized that this was essentially what Jesus did for me. Yes, He overcame death in hell and is now at the right hand of the Father. But first, Jesus had all the sin of past, present, and future placed upon Him and overcame death in hell. He was willing to do this out of his love for me and those who have ever lived on this earth.
I want to make sure that I am continually thanking the Lord for what He has done for me. I never want to forget and under estimate the amazing sacrifice and love that the Lord demonstrated towards me. He is worthy of all my praise and I want to continue to be reminded of this.
8/19/2011
“For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:38
When I read this verse I was amazed at the supreme power that God holds over the world, and yet at the same time, God is so humble. He could demand my honor and acknowledgement of His glory but He doesn’t and instead came humbly to earth and died an extremely painful death even though He was innocent.
I am so amazed at God’s love that He does not push me to acknowledge His supremeness on this earth, yet all will see and bow the knee when we are brought before Him in the final judgment. I was convicted the times I haven’t said something relating to the Lord when I should have and I didn’t do it out of fear. For example, if someone asks me why I have so much joy, instead of just dismissing it, I could use this opportunity to share how God has given me joy in my life.
How often do I hold back because I am ashamed of what others will think? This is so wrong because God is to be praised and lifted up. Even if I have fear and I am concerned about what others will think, I need to stand up for what I know is true.
I want to apply this to my life by when the Lord asks me to say something or stand up in a situation, I want to do it because God is worthy of me proclaiming His name.

2 comments:

  1. I am so blessed by all the Lord is showing you in His Word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Janessa! One thing that you said about looking for the day when we be with Jesus for eternity reminds me of that song by Chris Tomlin where he says, "There's a day that's drawing near...when my faith shall be my eyes." We serve such an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete